There is little more nerve racking to me than waste. It’s an awful complex to have ha ha I’m sure it sounds cost effective and environmentally sound but if you ask my family about some of the random meals they’ve been forced to endure because of this complex, they might explain that its less then an amazing trait 🙂
It’s not all bad! It keeps me from shopping unless there’s a “need” and I typically clear the refrigerator before adding, and both of those things help the family budget. I’m not a huge fan of having too many options either, it puts my mind into a position of debilitating indecision. I chose to see the positives in it all, as it forces me to keep things simple whenever I can and although there have been some not so amazing recipes made, I’ve also found some wonderfully tasty ways to use similar ingredients in multiple meals! I thought I would share some fun options to try this Fourth of July! Each of the common fresh ingredients have a tendency to go bad before we can use them up so hopefully you will enjoy some of these ideas!
Common ingredient list –
The 1st fun recipe is Watermelon Pizza! It’s a great option for a dessert that the kids can help make and will devour. The flips side is there is ALWAYS a ton of leftovers and making it as a pizza is a bit to much for snack time. Here, you can do it as a pizza or snack cups.
- Slice 1 full round of watermelon about 2 1/2 inches thick. For the most surface space, cut the round from the middle of the watermelon.
- Top with your favorite greek yogurt or non dairy yogurt – We use Chobani Low Sugar Madagascar Vanilla in our household as well as Kite Hill Vanilla Almond Milk Yogurt (both at target)
- Sprinkle blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and whatever fruit you like – we use chopped pineapple too
- Options – honey drizzle, coconut flakes, maple syrup drizzle, or chocolate pieces
You can serve like pizza slices or just have people dig in with a fork (it gets messy but the kids have fun). This looks great with all your red, white, and blue for the Fourth so it’s a great option for the upcoming holiday!
What do you do with all the extra?
- Cut watermelon into chunks
- Fill 1/4 of a 9 oz tumbler with greek yogurt
- Top with watermelon and any other fruits you like
- Drizzle with honey
- Add pieces of graham crackers
Now you have a great grab for the kids at snack time and that watermelon doesn’t go to waste!
Ok so now you have left over berries… what to do????
One of my favorite summer time salads is a great option and perfect to bring as a side to your family BBQ celebrations for the Fourth!
- One bag of Spinach or Mixed Greens
- Sliced Almonds
- Red Onion
- Marinated Pesto Mozzarella Balls (take mozzarella pearls and toss in pesto; remove excess pesto) You could also use just plain mozzarella balls.
- Blush Wine Vinaigrette or Balsamic Vinegar. Only dress per serving.
- Option to top with chicken or salmon for you meat eaters out there
If salad isn’t your thing, we have one more fun idea for you to try with those extra berries! Everyone needs one flag plate idea under their belt right?
- Blueberries for the top left portion of the flag
- Use a sheet pan and make the stripes by alternating white chocolate covered raisins and sliced strawberries
- Options – use those left over raspberries instead and replace the raisins with white chocolate covered pretzels. You can also add greek yogurt or non dairy yogurt under the blueberries to serve as a dip!
None of these recipes take more than 5 min. to prepare, that’s the best part! I like to keep it simple over here. Anything too complicated and I start to get lazy and cut corners. Just telling it like it is here ha ha. Do you still have left over berries? Here’s some pairing ideas:
- Red Blend – add some raspberries and let the wine sit for a half hour
- Cabernet – add some blueberries and let the wine sit for a half hour
- Brut – add some strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries and let the wine sit in fridge for 15 min.
- Sparkling Rose – add some strawberries and let the wine sit in fridge for 15 min.
Happy Fourth of July!!!
XOXO – Jess