This is a new favorite of mine! I found a recipe online and changed it to fit my tastes and hopefully my father in laws as well. I’ve been lucky enough to be able to help him find new plant based foods that he enjoys and it’s been so much fun creating different dishes for him and ME to try! I’ve never had a real shepards pie but I imagine it can hardly be any better than this one. The original recipe was modified from Spend with Pennies – Click Here . I took her amazing meal, and amped up some of the flavors, plus added a few of my own. I’ve also included a recipe for the mashed potatoes and made it instant pot friendly. In my opinion, when it comes to lentils, Instant Pot is the only way to go, otherwise I almost always under cook them.
For this recipe, I used our ONEHOPE Vintner Merlot both in the dish and on the side. It’s a medium bodied red with notes of cranberry, plum, tobacco and vanilla. It was a perfect pair to the dish and I hope you have a chance to try them together too. Every bottle helps reduce the risks of heart disease through education. I didn’t pick the wine based on the cause but for those close to us, you know that it was ever so fitting for this meal. A meal meant for a heart healthy diet, from the ingredients to the cause <3 I hope you all enjoy!
Instant Pot Lentil Shepards Pie
- Instant Pot
- Baking Dish
- Non Stick Pan
- 1 Cup Lentils
- 2 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 Drizzle Avocado Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 1 Cup Onion
- 1 Cup Baby Bella Diced Mushroom Overflow the cup
- 10 – 15 Rainbow Baby Carrots Chopped
- 1 Rib Celery chopped
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Peas
- 1 Tablespoon Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 Tablespoon ONEHOPE Vintner Merlot You can substitute your favorite red or link is in blog body
- 3 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Flour
- 10 – 15 Little Red Potatoes Keep the skin on
- Italian Seasoning to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Garlic Seasoning to taste For potatoes only
- 1 Cup Almond Milk For Potatoes only
- 2 Tablespoon Vegan Whipped Butter
- Cut little red potatoes, skin on, into eighths (does not need to be exact) and add to pot of salted water. Boil until soft then drain.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- While the potatoes are cooking, dice mushrooms, onions, and celery.
- Turn instant pot to saute and add a touch of olive oil, minced garlic, mushroom, onion, and celery. Saute unil softened, about 5 min.
- Switch instant pot to off and stir in flour.
- Add lentils, vegetable stock, worcestire, merlot, and tomato paste.
- Add a touch of salt and pepper and italian seasoning. You can always add more after so don't go heavy, there's lots of sodium in the ingredients already.
- Cover and set to lentil/bean setting, cook time 15 min.
- While the lentil mixture is cooking, mash potatoes with vegan butter, almond milk, garlic seasoning (not garlic salt) and salt and pepper (to taste). Use more or less butter and almond milk to get to a consistancy that you like. Keep in mind, the vegan butter has saturated fat, so to keep it heart healthy you'll want to work with extra almond milk before adding more butter.
- Let instant pot slowly release pressure for 5 min. and then release it all on quick release.
- Taste to be sure the salt, pepper, and italian seasoning is on point and then add peas.
- Transfer to baking dish and top with potatoes and place uncovered in oven until the top starts to brown (about 15 min.)
- I like to finish with broil setting to really get some extra brown edges and then voila! Dinner is served.